Monday, November 21, 2011

Weekend Progress

Friday Night I cut out my Countdown to Christmas fabric for my Starry Eyed Quilt.

Saturday I spent most of the day at the Roller Rink with the kids, so I didn't get much sewing done.

On Sunday, after sleeping most of the day away trying to get rid of a cold, I pulled out all the quilt tops I had and picked two of my oldest ones and basted them.  The first one was this log cabin top.  I had originally started hand quilting it in 2006 on an old fashion quilt frame, the kind that is meant for lots of women to sit around and help quilt. But every time I left the room my cat used it as a hammock and I found myself having to re-adjust the quilt too many times, so I took it off the frame with the intention of basting it with pins and quilting it without the frame.  Not sure what took me so long to get it back out. Honestly, I didn't think it had been sitting that long.  It wasn't till I dug up the old picture of it on the frame that I realized it has been 5 years since I worked on it.  Wow, time sure does fly.


This next quilt top I basted is older than the log cabin.  I can't even remember how old it is.  I know I started it before I moved into my house,  I even want to say that the whole top was finished before I moved in 8 years ago.  The block is a pattern I used from Quilters Cache and is called Diamond Star.  I even used her layout at the end of her instructions.  I used a new basting method for this one.  I tried out the table basting with boards that I saw on Doodle Quilts blog.  It took me longer than normal but only because it was a new process for me.  I will see how the quilting goes and if this method is good at keeping the tucks out of the back while quilting.  I sure hope so, because it sure beats crawling around on the floor to pin baste.

These two tops are some of my oldest UFO's and it is nice to be able to throw them in the rotation of current projects.  Not sure how much crafting I will get done this week though.  I have to spend most of the time getting the house ready for Thanksgiving.  It is my year to host.  :)  Perhaps I can squeeze a in few 15 minute sewing intervals time to time throughout the day though and get a little progress done on some of my projects.  


=^..^=

3 comments:

  1. Both quilts are gorgeous! I'm working on a project with the Count Down to Christmas fabric collection also, so will love to see what you make.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that quilt pattern... isn't that fabric you are using so cute! It is really going to be an adorable treasure for the holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh, I love your log cabin. Those colors are so rich. Good for you for working on those old UFOs! It's like a surprise bonus project now :)

    ReplyDelete